Saturday, September 25, 2010

Effing Awesome Mac And Cheese


Watch it again I know you want to, just bubbling and oozzzing with awesomeness.  This is a recipe I made a few weeks ago for dinner with friends.  This is a legendary mac n cheese recipe from Lynn's Paradise Cafe in Louisville, KY.  I did use Cabot sharp cheddar cheese for this and if you can find it I highly recommend using it. 

Here is the recipe:


           INGREDIENTS

  • 4 tablespoons melted butter, plus extra
  • for preparing the baking pan
  • 4 cups evaporated milk
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked al dente
  • 1 1/4 pounds shredded extra sharp Cheddar
  • cheese (preferably Vermont cheddar)
  • Crumb Topping:
  • 1/2 cup dry sourdough breadcrumbs
  • (or other firm-textured white bread)
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 to 3 grindings black pepper
  •  
  • DIRECTIONS

    Recipe

    Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 13-inch baking pan and set aside.

    In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter, evaporated milk, eggs, paprika, salt and white pepper. Set aside.

    Make the crumb topping by mixing all ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.

    Layer 1/3 of the cooked elbow macaroni in the prepared pan. Cover with 1/3 of the shredded Cheddar. Repeat the layers twice more, ending with an even layer of cheese on top. Pour the evaporated milk mixture evenly over the entire casserole. With gloved hands, press lightly on the top so the ingredients are moistened by the milk. Bake for 30 minutes, covered with foil. Remove the foil and sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the top. Continue baking for another 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest at room temperature for 5 minutes before serving.

    Serves 12 as a side.
     
  •  
  •  

7 comments:

Karen said...

Wow! I could stick my head in that mac n cheese!!! Looks delightful!

Anonymous said...

how did you get cabot cheese?

Ken said...

they have
Cabot at the local market by my house. I believe you can also get from their website.

Bill said...

Just Imagine how good this would be with Cabot Clothbound Cheddar, it would have a different flavor profile, but it would be great.

Jacquelyn said...

Yum! What a tempting video- thanks for sharing! And thanks from the farm families who own Cabot for recommending Cabot cheese :)
~Jacquelyn

Anonymous said...

I have read so many articles or reviews about the blogger lovers however this post
is in fact a good piece of writing, keep it up.

my webpage - Vape Pens

Anonymous said...

Pretty great post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to mention that
I've really loved browsing your weblog posts. In any case I'll be subscribing in your feed and I'm hoping you write again very soon!


My web page :: Atmos vaporizer