Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Salad Days

 Salad Days Editorial Lettering Client: Chicago Magazine

So as the cold weather creeps back with an evil grin I am reminded that Fall and Winter is a scary time for me.  Scary in terms of my waistline, I am constantly having dreams I will one day end up looking like Peter Griffin, chin and all.  Horrifying I know, so I need to be proactive and make sure I don't end up eating everything I see before next March.  One way I tend to do this is by starving myself, this is not very good because I get grumpy.  Okay not just grumpy, more like I become Jack from Shining walking around with a ax in my hand. The other way to make sure I don't devour everything in front of me is to have some self control, yeah this doesn't work either.  You would know this if you have ever been around when chocolate and or peanut butter is within arms distance to my mouth.  So where does this leave me?

"...My salad days, / When I was green in judgment, cold in blood..."  -Shakespeare

Not sure if that quote is fitting but I love it just the same.  I will have to let you know I believe my true salad days was somewhere between the ages of 22 to 25.  One day I will get into those days, but for now let us just stick with the waistline.  I have always had issues with deciding on what to eat and if what I am eating is healthy for me.  I know I should just eat grass and sprouts but I am not a goat so don't suggest any such thing.  Next closest thing would be to eat a salad.  A salad just sounds healthy right?  Is it really that healthy when you order it in the drive-thru at McDonald's?  It is certainly a better alternative, but so is not going to McDonald's at all.  For me, if I am already in the drive-thru line at McDonalds I am getting a quarter pounder with fries and a diet coke, yeah I know, a diet coke, don't you love cliches.  So I suppose I should make some salads at home, yeah doesn't sound very exciting right, well I went on the hunt to find a fun and healthy salad that would be not so dreadful to make.


Well I didn't really find anything I am happy with so it looks like its time to open up the " The Mouthful Test Kitchen." I think this calls for a theme song hmmmmm.

To be continued.......

No comments: